The idea for a church in this community was first conceived in the minds of Rev. Calvin Walton and Bro. Tommy Dogan. So in the year 1940, Rev. Walton and Bro. Dogan joined with the Jeff Holloway Sr. family, the Rev. Love Johnson family, Rev. Lee Weems, Bro. and Sis. Sylvester Ellis, Sis. Melvina Ennis, Sis. Amanda Brookins, Bro. Holly Persons and Sis. Harriet Brookins and organized the Friendship Missionary Baptist Church.
Rev. Calvin Walton was called as the first pastor. The church met twice a month in a building which sat on property leased from Sis. Harriet Brookins. The land was leased for three years. At that time, the membership was eighteen. In May of 1945, the church purchased .45 acres of land and moved the frame building to 16138 Boss Gaston Road. The land was purchased from Ms. Belle Blackwell with Bro. H. O. Persons, Bro. Sylvester Ellis and Rev. Calvin Walton serving as trustees.
In 1949, Rev Calvin Miller was called to pastor. Under Rev. Miller’s leadership, a new building was constructed. Rev. Miller served as pastor for four years. In 1953, Rev. T.J. Thompson was called as pastor. Rev. Thompson served three years, after which, Rev. Sanders Alix was called.
Under the leadership of Rev. Alix, a cafeteria was added to the building. In 1965, Rev. Alix instituted weekly Sunday Services instead of the usual twice a month services. Rev. Alix served as pastor for 14 years. Rev. Calvin Miller was recalled as pastor and served less than a year. Rev. J. Amos Jones was called to serve in 1973. Existing auxiliaries and teachings at that time were the Senior Choir, Sis. Verdell Cooper, president; Usher Board, Sis. Clara Ellis, president; Senior Mission, Sis. Melvina Ennis, president; and the Sunday School with Dec. Larcell Persons as Superintendent.
During Pastor Jones’ tenure as pastor, the frame building was renovated to include air conditioning, new sanctuary furnishings, public address system, baptizing pool and carpeting. Being led by the Holy Spirit, the church also began weekly prayer and teacher meetings and Annual Revivals. The church continued to grow from one composed of primarily the families of the Four Corners community to a body of believers from many areas of the country and world, meeting in the Four Corners community.
In September of 1988, the church purchased 0.2689 acres of land from Rev. Lois and Sis. Alberta Reed. On Oct. 2, 1994, the church held a groundbreaking ceremony, marking the beginning of construction for our new sanctuary. Our special guest was Rev. J.J. Brown and the Zion Hill Baptist Church.In January of 1995, an additional acre of land was purchased from Varney Burford, et al. The bricked entry way sign at the front of the grounds stands at the site of the former framed building.
Sunday, January 7, 1996, we celebrated entrance into our present sanctuary. Rev. E. W. Cooper delivered the message. The Denver Miller Fellowship Hall and the Addie Lee Dogan Dispensary were dedicated in separate ceremonies in honor of two faithful members. Deacon Denver Miller was instrumental in the building of the present sanctuary and provided a vital link between the service of the past and present Deacon Boards. Sister Addie Lee Dogan served faithfully as Assistant Sunday School Superintendent and Teacher also serving as a bridge for future teachers.
Displayed in the Fellowship Hall, the Baptismal Pool and Educational Building are the works of Biblical scenes painted by Sister Connie Metters, as well as portraits of Dec. Miller and Sis. Dogan.
In 1999, Pastor Jones gave us the theme, “It is Better to Build Strong Children than to Repair Broken Men,”and Friendship began Children’s Church with Aneice James and Suntera Scott serving as directors. With the desire to be holistic in our ministerial approach, current youth ministries are The Soldiers of Salvation drill team with Sis. Sheila Boyette as director, and The Flame Dancers with Sis. Rebecca Metters, director, and the Children’s Choir, Sis. Janiqua Brisco, director.
On February 28, 2005 we were blessed to make the final payment of the church’s mortgage. The mortgage burning ceremony was held on May 1, 2005. On July 14, 2006, an additional 2.3982 acres of land was purchased by the church from James Meredith.
On December 15, 2010, the church purchased 1.201 acres of land from Raymond Burford Jr. With the widening and expansion of the road to the church by Fort Bend County in July of 2009, we were no longer on Boss Gaston Road, but now have the address 16138 West Bellfort Rd, Sugar Land TX.
July 29, 2011 the church contracted with Nortex Modular to purchase a 24’ X 64’ modular building. Our purpose was to accommodate the growing teaching needs of the church; housing the Children’s Church, weekly Bible meetings and our annual Vacation Bible School. The modular building was dedicated on Sunday, April 15, 2012 in conjunction with the annual Mission Day. The building is named the Minnie Ola Johnson Building in honor of Sister Johnson’s longtime faithful service as Sunday School Superintendent with the individual rooms named in honor of Deacon Larcell Persons and Sister Addie Lee Dogan. We were blessed to make final payment on this building on April 1, 2013. In 2014, the church sustained significant water damage and was refurbished with new carpeting and new pew and pulpit upholstery. This event while challenging, renewed our faith in the Lord’s ability to sustain and provide in the midst of adversity.
We thank God for the various areas of service that have been added since 1940, Season’s Ministry, Support Group, New Members Committee, Greeter’s Ministry, several choirs and missions, Kool-Aid Tuesday, Brotherhood, Share-Pot, beginning in 2013, Junior Deacons, in 2014, the transportation ministry with the purchase of a 15-passenger van and in 2015 the Nurses’ Guild with Sis. Rosa Morrow as president. The church was bountifully blessed by the life of Sister Elaine Robinson. In memory of her giving spirit, on November 29, 2015 we dedicated the Sister Elaine Robinson Community Garden, which thrives under the watchful care of Deacon Leon Moore, Brother Harvey Reed, and Brother Thomas Barnett.
Present Officers include:
Pastor, Rev. J. Amos Jones, Associate Ministers: Rev Robert Allen, Minister Vanessa Adderly, Rev. Troy Bryant, Minister Daphne Kannady, Rev. Adrian Lara, Minister Bridgett Shaw, Rev. Charles White, Prophetess Evenetta Lara, Rev. Avery Smith and Rev. Dennis Foley. Secretary: Sister Shirley Cooper and Treasurer: Deacon Edward Dogan.